Erectile dysfunction or male impotence is one of the major fears in men. Fear could sometimes be caused by ignorance. Learning more about the reason why men sometimes have erectile dysfunction or if it is a persistent problem, learning to do something about it could help allay anxiety and depression which are actually some of the causes of ED.
ED or erectile dysfunction happens when a man has a persistent problem of not getting and sustaining an erection. Sexual intercourse will become difficult or not achievable when ED is not treated.
The trigger factors that can cause erectile dysfunctions in men are:
- Emotional problems
- Physical incapacities or medical problems
- Mental issues
It has been believed in the past that erectile dysfunction is caused by mind conditioning. It may be, but modern times have discovered the complex reasons that can make a man become impotent.
- A link between diabetes and erectile dysfunction has been discovered. Diabetes has been found to be an early complication of erectile dysfunction.
- Doctors have known for some time that having atherosclerosis could develop erectile dysfunction. Treatment for this condition decreases the risk of acquiring erectile dysfunction and a life-threatening complication.
- Lowering high blood pressure also helps in treating erectile dysfunction. Lifestyle changes can lower high blood levels with some cases that may need help from prescription drugs.
- Prostate cancer. Prostate cancer does not cause erectile dysfunction. The treatment medications for prostate cancer can cause erectile dysfunction.
The main symptom of erectile dysfunction is the inability to get and sustain an erection to adequately do a sexual act. The problem may show in numerous ways:
- Occasionally happening or maybe temporary. It is normal for men to have temporary stages of impotency.
- Persistent impotence which began gradually until it became a chronic condition.
- Sudden onset. Masturbation can still be achieved as well as have erections in the early mornings. This condition is usually a combination of psychological and physical complications.
A doctor has to be consulted when these erectile symptoms are experienced:
- An anxiety that threatens your sexual relationship because of the erectile dysfunction condition. At the least, the doctor can clear up some misunderstandings about ED that commonly affects sexual problems. At the most, the doctor can prescribe medications to be taken for a short time to clear up the problem.
- A persistent erectile dysfunction condition. It could be an early symptom of a serious health condition that needs to be treated such as constriction of the arteries of the penis which could be an indication of diabetes or coronary diseases. The erectile dysfunction can be helped by medications, injection therapy for the penis or the use of a mechanical device. But the health condition that caused ED has to be treated.
Research on future treatments is being researched to give fewer side effects, work effectively, and give quick results in a short time. For the present, there are five available drugs that are taken orally to treat ED and they are Viagra, Cialis, Staxyn, Levitra, and Stendra.