Nothing can be more devastating to a man’s self-esteem that ED or erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction is the incapability to get and keep an erection suitable for sexual intercourse. Other than the physical aspects that are caused by erectile dysfunction, it can also develop emotional problems such as insecurity, anger, and low self-esteem. Depression has been proven to be one of the strongest causes of erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction is not a rare condition in men. Millions of men have experienced this at certain situations in their life. It was only in 1998 when there was a surge of treatment for erectile dysfunction after an effective drug was developed and released.
An erection begins with a sexual stimulation message to the blood vessels, hormones, nerves, and brain that, in turn, sends it to the muscles around the penis’ spongy tissues. The impulse that was sent relaxes the muscles and allows blood to flow into the penis’ spongy tissues which engorge it- causing an erection. Keeping an erection is achieved by a group of muscles that close the blood flow to the already erect penis.
This complex sequence of events can be hampered by many problems causing erectile dysfunction which may include:
- Emotional problems. Depression, stress, and fear of sexual performance make up 20% of reported cases of male impotence or ED.
- Diseases or trauma affecting the penis which includes arteries, muscles and nerves. Alcoholism, neurologic conditions, diabetes, vascular, and kidney are health conditions which have been the causes of erectile dysfunctions in 70 percent of men.
- Certain health conditions requiring maintenance medications often produce side effects that develop erectile dysfunction.
- Unhealthy lifestyle choices such as obesity, smoking, sedentary habits, alcohol abuse, and other habits that can cause medical conditions can also develop erectile dysfunction.
- An operation could have damaged some organs, arteries, and nerves that are connected to the penis leading to erectile dysfunction.
One of the great medical breakthroughs for treating erectile dysfunction is the PDE5 inhibitor drugs that bolster up the effects of nitric oxide which is the chemical that allows blood to flow freely to the penis. They are the following:
- Tadalafil Cialis
- Sildenafil Citrate Viagra
- Vardenafil Hydrochloride Levitra
Your doctor has to be informed about other medications that you are currently taking including herbal therapies and vitamins as it may interact dangerously when combined with PDE-5 inhibitor drugs. Heart problems needing nitroglycerin or hypertension needing alpha-blockers may cause a severe drop in blood pressure if taken together with PDE-5 inhibitors. This sudden condition could be life-threatening.
Other treatments that have proved effective in treating erectile dysfunction:
- Implanting a device in the penis to make it erect can be done through surgery. The downsides to this treatment are the infection and mechanical breakdown.
- Injections to the penis done by certain drugs can make it achieve an erection. However, the side effects can be priapism which is a condition that makes the penis have an erection for a long time with accompanying pain.
- Alprostadil is a small drug pellet that, when placed inside the urethra causes an erection in minutes. The side effect it will cause would be a painful and burning sensation of the penis.